10.01.2009

It has been quite awhile since I have done a Thankful Thursday post and I think most of the time it is for me. One of my favorite church hymns is "Count Your Blessings" and I need to take a break from the busy-ness and start counting.
Today I am most thankful for Sierra's teachers. Autism is not fun and can be very frustrating. We've had lots of those frustrating moments lately and they have made me grateful for her teachers. I don't know that you can appreciate being able to communicate with your child until you can't. It is so nice to be able to carry on a short conversation with Sierra. I love hearing about how her day was and the things that she did. We definitely struggle with trying to understand what she is saying all of the time, but there has been so much improvement since she started in the special ed program last November. Her teachers have worked miracles in my opinion!
I had the opportunity to substitute teach 3 days last week in the same class. It was hard. It was exhausting. It was a little scary. But it was so great to run into a couple of those kids on Saturday and have them say hi and tell their parents that I was their sub. I have a new appreciation for teachers. They aren't paid enough and a good one is priceless. I learned a lot and hope I taught the kids a few things too.
My kids are so great and I love them so much! We are a busy family and I am so proud of their accomplishments. I had a couple of parent-teacher conferences this week and it's always fun to hear how others see your child. They are all great students and like to be involved in other activites. Mackenzie just had her last cross country meet and placed 2nd for her middle school JV team. She shaved 20 seconds off of her best time and finished in 12:19. She has soccer team tryouts next week (cross your fingers!) and just became part of the media team and student council.
Lauren has had a great soccer week. The JV team won their game on Tuesday and she scored 2 goals. She has been working on her passes and crosses and has earned a spot on the VARSITY TEAM for tonight's game! That's quite an accomplishment and she is so excited.
I'm grateful for the cooler weather and that the rain has cleared out for awhile. Sierra and I love to play outside after school and I love the cooler nights. I'm ready for jeans and sweatshirts and Halloween!

6 Comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I sat with a friend last night after she had a double mastectomy. Next she has chemo ahead of her. I sat and counted my blessings too. It is such a cleanser for the soul to sit and ponder all the things you are grateful for.

Mia said...

I have been slacking on my TT posts too. I love your list. Hooray for wonderful teachers who see that each child is a precious child of God, they really should be paid more!

Devri said...

I am with Mia, teachers should be paid more. good job countin your blessings, great list!


Sorry your tutu is coming. I promise, life just got too fast.. promise.. don't hate me!

Renee said...

Me too, the fall is the best!

I bet you are the best sub ever. I won't tell Sophia about this though, she may decide to switch schools or something.

Ashly said...

We are so glad Sierra is communicating better. I think teachers are amazing and sacrifice so much for the kids. That is nice that you were able to sub. And tell Mackenzie great job on her meet!

Karalene said...

Kristen... been awhile since I have gone blog stalking. You need to get FB... I hang out there alot!

Chance has autism... high functioning, with the assumption it is Aspergers. It helps to know, to get the help he needs and for his teachers to understand him better. AND for his parents to take a deep breath every once in awhile and remember his social ques are all out of whack!