Last week Sierra started preschool! Let me preface my comments by saying that I have been almost ecstatic about this day for a very long time. It's the first time in almost
15 years that I have had some time to myself. I don't live near any family that can help out with the kids--it's always me, me, and me tending to their every need. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely adore my girls and think they're the best thing since sliced bread. But I am a better mom when I get a break and lately I have been very near my breaking point. So...I took Sierra to preschool for her first day. She walked in, sat down at the play doh table, said good-bye, and waved me away. That was easy! I walked out without feeling guilty about leaving her in someone else's care and I was off to put my house back into some kind of order. I didn't get a call all day telling me that she was sad, or that she'd had a potty accident, or was causing problems. I kind of even missed her as the day wore on. I went to pick her up and WHAM! I got an earful about her not standing in line, not wanting to wash her hands, not sitting quietly on her rug during rest time, throwing a tantrum. My little darling was the only one whose apple fell from the tree that first day of school and I left in tears. She had behaved much as I thought she would on the first day of preschool, but apparently they expected more. I was just thrilled that she had been fine without me for 5 hours and hadn't had a potty accident. I've been thinking all weekend that she isn't ready for preschool and have been so disappointed. I took her again yesterday prepared to talk to them and even stay and see what was going on, but as I walked in one of her
teachers apologized about the way they had approached me about what had gone on and assured me that they would work with her and that they agreed that preschool was a good thing for her. I was completely relieved! She had a better day yesterday and just loves school. She'll learn how to sit still and follow directions better in time. For now she is just happy to be a big girl!
8.20.2008
My Little Preschooler
Posted by Kristen at 12:13 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 Comments:
Wow ya a little bored, now what ya gonna do with yourself, by yourself, if you get too lonely you can designs layouts with me, or take a few kids of mine.. oops, did I just say that!!!
I am so sorry that you were bummed about the apple thing. Zoey told me that it had happened and I asked if Sierra liked pre-school and she said, yeah Mom she loved it. I am sure that she wasn't having a hard time because she didn't like it or she isn't able to handle it, it is just a new routine. She will keep loving it! Enjoy the time you have for yourself, you deserve it!!
Hey! I swear I am not stalking you, I keep trying to figure out where you got this cute blog background. I was checking for a link...
Please point me in the right direction. I need help from the blog queen! :)
I can relate-- have had MANY episodes of tears about Chance's non-conforming behavior.
Good thing the teacher apologized... not all children fit into one mold. A little time to adjust to the routine and she will be okay... can't get mad at a child for have a little spit 'n fire!
I am sooo glad it went better yesterday. I was a little worried with the reaction last week. Its good they apoligized. Way to go Si Si!
Aw!!! Hang in there, she'll get the hang of it. Congrats on having some time to yourself! I truly can't imagine what that would be like! :)
Oh... I love having strong willed kids! I am glad the teachers apologized... I was a little bugged that they thrashed you and your daughter the first day... THIS IS PRESCHOOL! Chin up it will only get better!
Ouch.
Hang in there. I had a kindergarten teacher tell me not to let Spencer out of the house, with a couple of other choice boys from his class, when they are teenagers, for the sake of public safety. I thought she was kidding, but no.
Sophia's in preschool this year and I'm beyond excited. I haven't been able to do much yet, but I have big plans.
Post a Comment