11.13.2008

Paying the Sitter

How much do you pay your babysitters? I've often asked girls that have babysat for me how much to pay them and they never seem to have an answer, or they don't want to tell me. Now that Lauren is old enough to babysit I don't have to worry, but she is getting asked by others that she sits for. Do you pay by the hour? Do you pay according to how many kids you have? If they do most of their sitting after bedtime, do you pay less? Do you pay more if the house is clean and dishes done? What's the going rate?

7 Comments:

Mia said...

This is such a tricky question!!! I would by far prefer the girl tell me how much they charge, but I have yet to have a sitter who says I normally charge XXX. That way I can know their base rate and then add more depending on the situation and the optionals... like depending on if the kids are up, if they have to be fed, or the sitter does things like the dishes, if the kids have to be put to bed, or if they are already asleep when the sitter gets there... I always pay by the hour but I factor in the other stuff...

Renee said...

I bet I under pay, but typically it's 7.50 an hour, 2.50 per child. Oliver isn't normally home, so there's just 3 pretty self sufficient kids left.

Jen said...

I pay according to the age of the sitter. If they are yound and don't drive the pay less, if they are experienced and drive themselves, I pay more. I NEVER pay less than minimum wage, usually somewhere between $7-$10. Is this post so Lauren knows where to make the BIG bucks? Hee Hee :)

Becky said...

I totally underpay, depends on situation. For a night out, I pay around $20 for the night because typically I've already done all the work: feeding, bathing, etc. She just puts them to bed and then plays/reads/watches TV. When I'm working, I'll pay $20-$50 for a day (6-8 hours) depending on how many kids they have.

Unknown said...

I was shocked to here what the going rate was for some of the girls around. When we came to TN most the girls I asked charge $10 an hour. I was floored. So, I do a lot of swapping, and I have some really great friends that let me just have their girls for my homemade bread or just for service. When I have paid, I am with Renee, and pay $2.50 an hour.
Jen, I will babysit for you anytime! Will you take in account all my experience and I drive too! :)

Stacey said...

By the time we left Knoxville we were paying our sitter $9 an hour. In fairness to her she had been babysitting almost every Sat for 2 years. Rich didn't like paying her so much while they slept but it has to do with valuing her time too. She could have found something else to do instead. Is this a not so subliminal message about what to pay your sweet babysitting daughter? Now, you tell us, what should the going rate be?

Mindi said...

ummmmmmmm. we must be paying slave wages here in utah. i pay 5 bucks an hour for my 3 girls.